Saturday 8 August 2015

Why did you quit your last job so early?


Possible Intention:

  • To know the reason for your job switch.
  • To check if you are just a mercenary who works for whoever pays more.
  • To know your experience that made you leave the previous job.

Insights:

  • Be ready with a convincing answer. The interviewer is trying to judge whether to hire you or not, if you have left your previous job after a very short stint.
  • Have a list of reasons which do not say bad things about your previous employer.
  • If you have had disagreement with your previous employer, do not wash dirty laundry in public.
  • Do not give a flippant reply. It shows that you are not a responsible person and do not take your job seriously.

Example Answers:

  1. I had to leave in a very short period due to some family problems and continuing my job was not possible. Since I had not completed my probation, getting leave was difficult, when my family needed me the most. But I assure you that nothing of this sort will happen again now since the problem has been sorted out.
  2. I had few disagreements with my manager in the earlier employment, and as I could not make compromise with my core believes, I thought it would be a good idea to seek out like-minded people who can foster those believes.
  3. There was a gap between what I do with my life and what the organization needed, so rather than having a disturbance in my personal life as well as work envirnment, I decided to approach people with same vision as mine.

Anti Pattern:

  • Do not say left because you did not like the work environment or the project that you were assigned. It may indicate that you are not adaptable.
  • Do not say that you did not like working at the earlier organization and hence left the job.
  • Do not elaborate and dwell on the problem you might have faced earlier.
  • Do not portray yourself as a victim.

Interviewer's Interpretation:

  • The interviewer may appreciate you honesty and forthrightness as long as you can justify what you core beliefs are.
  • The interviewer will understand that you have the courage to take strong decision, but not out of malice.
  • That you are a sincere, thoughtful and responsible person who is capable of taking the right decisions,


3 comments:

  1. http://interviewtojob.blogspot.com/2015/08/common-mistakes-in-cv-writing.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear of the unknown can cause interview anxiety. What is unknown is the questions you will be asked. Here is a free video that describes how to accurately predict the questions you will be asked during each interview. http://thecareerhero.com/sample-interview-questions-how-will-you-answer/

    ReplyDelete